Saturday, April 14, 2012

I Love Farmers' Markets

There doesn't seem to be as much time as I'd like to write on this blog. I always think about things to write after something has happened, or, after I have gone to some event. And of course, by then it is too late.

So, I thought if I just posted something, it would get me back in the habit of writing here. I seem to write everywhere else, especially on my personal blog, so let's see if this trick helps.

I was just thinking about how lucky I am to live in southern California. I know there are many reasons that this is true: the weather, the beach, the arts and culture (yes, we do have lots of culture here) and because most of my family is here.

But, while those are all true, one of the biggest reasons I feel this way is because living here in LA County, I can go to a different farmers' market every day of the week, choosing from one of at least 100 certified farmers' markets.

As I have written about before, aside from the fresh, in-season produce, each has something unique to offer, Hollywood is well...Hollywood, you can't describe it, it is like a carnival and a produce market combined. Santa Monica is trendy, and it is big and bold.

Being a South Bay local and native, I also like to support my South Bay farmers' markets so that I can be really supportive of the local economy while eating as locally as possible.


A January haul from the Torrance Certified Farmers' Market 



One of the most beautiful farmers' markets around is the Thursday Morning Redondo Beach Certified Farmers' Market alongside Veteran's Park/The Pier/The Beach. If you are in the South Bay, check it out. If you are not and are looking for a farmers' market near you, search for one here.

Redondo Beach Certified Farmers' Market

View from Redondo Beach Certified Farmers' Market